Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Italian-ish Turkey Rice Skillet

Since I don't have a camera any more I guess I can post recipes without having to make them for the photo. I've made this plenty of times to know it's a keeper.

This came about when I found a recipe online and made so many changes it wasn't even close to the original anymore. With a little more tweaking I ended up with this family favorite. Feel free to use left over rice.

You'll need:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 lb ground turkey
1 small onion, diced
1 teaspoon fennel seed
1 teaspoon dried sage
¼ teaspoon seasoning salt
1 large garlic clove, minced (I grate it...use more if you like)
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 head escarole, washed and torn
1 cup chicken broth (or that powder stuff and 1 cup water)
4 cups cooked rice (I use jasmine) 

Cook the turkey and onion in a large skillet in the olive oil. If your turkey is fatty you may not need the oil; use your best judgement. Use the back of your spoon to break up the turkey as it cooks. Drain off the fat if necessary.

Add the next four ingredients and cook for a few minutes stirring to combine all the flavors.

Add the bell pepper. Let cook for a few minutes then add the escarole and pour the chicken broth over the top.

Cook and stir to wilt the escarole and cook the pepper to your desired level of tenderness. The broth will evaporate quickly but if it doesn't don't worry, the rice will soak it up.

Add the cooked rice and mix well to combine.

Serve hot and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment