Thursday, November 4, 2010

BBQ Tofu Skillet

This is a family favorite. I serve it over rice but it is also good in a bun or pita pocket. I use the tofu that is already cut up into cubes for this. I find it easier to skip this step and for this recipe it is cut just right. I don't use it for others because the dice is usually irregular and, for some things, too small.  
You'll need:
Vegetable oil
2 packages diced tofu
1 large red bell pepper (or 2 smaller - I used one yellow and one red), diced
1 large green bell pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
18 oz bottle barbecue sauce (I used Kraft honey barbecue sauce)

Coat bottom of a large pan with vegetable oil.
Fry the tofu on medium to medium high heat until lightly brown.
Remove from pan. Add more oil if needed.
Add the vegetables and cook until crisp-tender.
Put the tofu back in the pan and add the sauce. I also put about 1/4 cup of water in the bottle and shake to get the last bit of the sauce and pour it all in the pan.
Stir together well and simmer gently for about 10 to 15 minutes. The vegetables will soften up a little more and everything should be well coated with the sauce.

If you like spice add some Tabasco sauce, spicy barbecue sauce, red pepper flakes or any combination. I usually place some hot sauce on the table.

Veggies cut up and ready to go.

Cooking in the pan.

Yum Yum!

Time to eat.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! It looks easy and like something my family would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete