Monday, January 31, 2011

Stuffed Red Bell Peppers

This was WONDERFUL! My youngest kept raving all through dinner. The whole family loved this so I figured I better get this written down before I forget what I've done so I can make it again. This would be a good way to use up leftover rice. I served this with a simple salad with lemon and olive oil dressing. This would be a nice lunch dish on its own as it is a complete meal in one. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

To make 4 stuffed peppers:
4 large red bell peppers
1 lb ground beef
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced (I grate them on a small grater)
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes in puree (I used a large can of Cento brand Chef's Cut tomatoes)
2 Tbs sweet Hungarian paprika
1 teaspoon dried thyme (I actually just put a little in the palm of my hand and tossed it in)
Salt and pepper
2 cups cooked rice (I used brown Jasmine)

Cook the ground beef and onion together breaking up with the back of your spoon until the beef is cooked through and the onion has softened.

Meanwhile, cut the tops (stem part) off the peppers and remove and discard seeds. Set into a baking dish until you are ready to stuff them. You might also like to try cutting them in half so you'll have two shells out of one pepper to stuff.*

When the beef is cooked drain the grease. Add the garlic and let cook, while stirring, a few minutes. Then add the tomatoes (don't drain), paprika and thyme. Cook, stirring often, until it begins to dry up a little bit and all the flavors melt. About 10 to 15 minutes. Taste and add salt and black pepper as needed. Add the cooked rice and stir well; taste again for seasoning.

Stuff the meat mixture into the peppers.
Cover (with foil if you have to) and cook in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

Enjoy!

*The peppers will be crisp tender when done. If you like them cooked more you may want to boil them in water for a few minutes before stuffing them.

**If you like a little spice I think red pepper flake would be a nice addition to the meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment