Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Japanese Stir Fry Ground Turkey & Cabbage

I made this tonight with white Japanese rice and miso soup. Use your favorite type of miso. I used a mugi miso but any type can be used. I found it quite easy to find kosher miso. Try health food stores or your local Asian market. The origional recipe called for pork but for obvious reasons I made it with turkey (although, to be honest, we aren't even kosher style anymore). This made a nice full meal for the 4 of us. If you didn't want to go with soup I'd choose another dish to go along with this for a family of 4. Maybe some sliced oranges or other fruit to start with or a japanese pickle on the side. You could also start with a Japanese style salad w. ginger dressing.

What you'll need:
1 lb ground turkey, chicken or pork
1 small napa cabbage (I had about 3/4 of a large head left over from another meal)
1 tbsp soy sauce (plus more ... you'll see)
1 tbsp white sugar
2 tbsp miso
veg oil

Chop the cabbage. I cut it into slivers.
Cook the turkey in the oil, breaking up with the back of a spoon.
Meanwhile, stir together the soy sauce, sugar and miso.
When the turkey is cooked through add the cabbage. You may need to wet it a little with a few shakes of the soy sauce.
When the cabbage has cooked down a little add the miso mixture.
If it gives you trouble (too dry) add a spoon full of water...but not too much.
Mix it together well and serve w. a side of rice...actually, since we are talking Japanese food, this would be the side while the rice is the main dish.

I hope you like it.

The photo below is made with ground beef rather than the turkey. Sorry it isn't the best photo. I've been having camera issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment