Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Marinade for Steak

Here is a nice, easy, marinade for any type of steak. I used it on boneless, sirloin, strip steaks. I had no idea what that cut was or if it would be tough or not so I thought I should marinate it just in case. I ended up with a very nice, tender, tasty piece of meat. It was similar to a teriyaki...but not quite. Had a Chinese kind of flavor...but not really. So basically you could serve this with anything. If you want to add an Asian side to it, like fried rice or lo mien, it wouldn't be out of place. If you wanted to simply do a mash and some peas or just about any other type of rice you can think of...or couscous or baked potatoes...etc, no problem. We had it with corn and carrots (since that was what my freezer held).

You'll need - to marinate 4 x 8oz sirloin steaks:
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup cider or malt vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced or simply smashed
3 -4 green onions, sliced

Combine all ingredients and marinate your steaks in it for at least a few hours. Mine sat for 5 hours.
Remove the steaks from the marinade and cook as desired. Grilling or broiling are best, IMHO. If you have a grill pan, that might be nice too. I broiled mine on high for 2.5 minutes per side. We like them very rare.

Meanwhile, pour the marinade into a pan and bring to a boil. To thicken into a sauce; stir together some of the marinade with about 1 tbsp of cornstarch. Pour it into the marinade and let boil. It will thicken quickly. Spoon a bit of the sauce over your steaks when you serve. I bet the sauce is also yummy on Jasmine rice or mashed potatoes...mmmm, I think I'll make this again very soon :)

I hope you enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment