Monday, August 22, 2011

Miso Matzo Ball Soup

My husband said I was crazy when I said I wanted to put my two favorite comfort foods together. When he walked into the kitchen tonight and saw the matzo balls cooking he said "you're gonna do it aren't you?" Yep I did it and it was wonderful. He ate all his soup as well as his words. "I think you may have something here." he told me. I think this will be a new go to recipe for us. I used about 6 cups of broth but feel free to use as much or as little as you think you'll need (I think I may have had too much broth). Just remember to use 1 Tbsp miso for every cup of broth. The soy sauce is optional but I felt it needed the salt.

You'll need:
6 cups chicken broth
6 Tbsp shiro miso (white miso)
1 Tbsp (about) soy sauce
A few slices of ginger
a few green onions, sliced fine
1 batch matzo balls as directed below:

For the Matzo Balls use the recipe on the box of matzo meal to make a batch of matzo balls but add about 1/2 to 1 Tbsp of fresh grated ginger root to the mixture. Actually, I could have used 2 batches with this amount of broth.

Cook them as directed in a pot of boiling water. I used a small, rounded, ice cream scoop which is a touch more than 1 Tbsp. I just drop them right from the scoop so my hands never have to touch the mixture.

When the matzo balls are cooked heat up your broth with the sliced ginger. You may want to add carrots but I didn't. Put the miso in a bowl with the soy sauce and add some of the hot broth. You'll want enough to dissolve the miso. Then add this to the pot of broth. Don't boil!! You should never boil miso.

To serve, place a few matzo balls in a bowl and top with a ladle or two of the miso broth (discard the ginger slices). Sprinkle with the green onion.

This is a very simple soup but so yummy. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

I'm sorry about the quality of this photo. I'm working on it. :/

No comments:

Post a Comment