Thursday, October 7, 2010

Broccoli Melts

These are really yummy. I made these up a long time ago using my husbands wonderful, homemade rye bread. I've made these in the past on sour dough for the kids before they grew a taste for rye so feel free to use whatever you like. I think a nice whole wheat or multi grain would be great. Nothing wimpy or very thin though, you need a sturdy bread to make this work.

I used broccoli this time but I like the broccolini better so that is what I put in the recipe. You can also use asparagus or rapini. I don't see why you can't use cauliflower or broccoli flower too. Let me know if you use other veg and how it turns out.

You'll need:
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 large onion, sliced thin
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 bunch Broccolini, chopped coarsely
Dijon mustard, to taste
mayonnaise, to taste
6 slices rye bread, 1/2 inch thick
6 slices sharp cheddar cheese, or to taste 

Melt olive oil  and butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add onions and saute until soft.
Add garlic and broccolini and saute until the broccolini is tender.
Meanwhile mix equal parts of the mayo and mustard together adding extra of either to suit your personal taste.
Place each slice of bread on a baking sheet and spread some of the Dijon mayo mixture on them.
Top each with a portion of the broccolini and onion mixture.
Top the broccolini with a slice of cheddar cheese (use more or less cheese to taste, I like it very cheesy).
Place under a pre-heated broiler until the cheese is melted to your liking.
Serve hot and enjoy.

Broccoli and onion in the pan

Bread getting the Dijon mayo treatment

Topping the bread with the broccoli

All melty and ready to eat.





No comments:

Post a Comment