Sunday, October 3, 2010

Hot Dog Gravy

This isn't really a gravy but you use it like a gravy or a meat type sauce. I served it over brown rice but I think the next time I make this I'll serve it over toasted white bread. I don't see why you can't serve this over macaroni or egg noodles too or even in hot dog buns or hoagies.

This is an adaptation of a retro recipe. The family loved it, I hope you do too.


You'll need:
vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
2 packages hot dogs (I used the big dinner sized Hebrew National dog), sliced into rounds.
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup vinegar
1 cup water
2 tablespoons yellow mustard


Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion.
When the onion starts to get soft add the hot dog rounds and cook until the onion is done and the hot dog it cooked. I like my hot dogs well done.
Add the rest of the ingredients and let simmer for about 30 minutes to 1 hour or until the sauce thickens.
Serve over toasted bread, hot cooked rice, noodles or whatever else you can think of.



Hot dogs and onions


Simmering in the sauce


More simmering in the sauce


A tasty, easy, cheap meal. Just add a salad or a veg (ketchup doesn't count) and you're good to go.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment