Saturday, September 11, 2010

Asian Grilled Flanken

Flanken is a slab of thin cut short ribs cut across the bone (you'll just have to look at the photos). The 'a' in Flanken is pronounced like 'a' as in father. I once had a butcher 'correct' me and laugh when I asked for Flanken. I never went back.

This is very simple recipe and so delicious. My family makes all sorts of yummy sounds when we eat this. We had this for our Shabbat meal last night. I usually serve it with Jasmine rice but fried rice would be very good as would lo mien or another Asian style side.

You'll need;
Flanken
Soy sauce
Garlic (optional)
Sesame oil (optional)
Honey or brown sugar (optional)

Optional ingredients are just that, optional. This last time I made these I used only soy sauce and sesame oil. If you like a sweeter sauce than add a little honey or sugar or even some agave. Garlic is never wrong! You might have also noticed that there are no amounts. I don't measure anything when I make this. If you add the extras you may want to taste as you go.

There are two ways of doing this.

Option 1: Place all ingredients in a plastic bag and let marinate over night.
Option 2: Place all ingredients in a plastic bag and pop in your freezer for some time in the future. Defrost before cooking. This is the way my mom does it. Makes for an easy meal.
To cook: Grill 2 or 3 minutes per side
Serve at once and enjoy!


Flanken marinating in the bag


On the grill


Again with the grill



Piled high on a platter


Eat up!

No comments:

Post a Comment