Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Picadillo

Today is my husband's birthday so I made him his favorite meal. Picadillo over Jasmine rice and fried Plantains. Below is the recipe I use for Picadillo.

Picadillo, by the way, is a Cuban dish. I can't say this is an authentic recipe. It is a combination of trial and error and a few different recipes I've found online. I hope you enjoy it.

When you look at my photos you'll notice that it looks like a lot of food. This is because I doubled the recipe; and glad I did as this family LOVES Picadillo. The recipe below should serve a family of four with normal appetites.

You'll need:
2 pounds ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1/3 cup sweet vermouth (you can use any sweet wine)
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup olives, chopped (measure first than chop or vice versa; it doesn't matter)

In a large skillet brown the ground beef with the onions.
When it is cooked through drain the grease and add the garlic.
Let it cook a few minutes while stirring and then add the vermouth. Let it boil as you scrape the pan.
Add the remaining ingredients, one by one.
Stir together well and lower heat to a simmer.
Let simmer until the liquid is absorbed; stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook the rice and fry up some plantains.
You can also serve Picadillo on buns, inside a baked potato, in a pita, wrapped in a tortilla and on top of a salad.


Ground beef and onions browing in a skillet.


Chopped olives ready to go. Don't chop them too fine but not too big either.


Picadillo simmering away.


Meanwhile, the plaintains get a jacuzzi.


Hey, this is heymish cooking, nothing fancy here. A skillet can be a serving dish if you put it on the table.


Yum! Doesn't that look good?

Happy Birthday, Mike. I love you!

1 comment: