You can use a can of SPAM if you don't mind the pork. You can also use ham. I've used turkey in the past and (for all you veg heads) I've also made this without meat and added extra veggies.
One more note: I used brown rice tonight and the family didn't have an issue with it. It does have a very dark color with the brown rice. If you use white rice or Jasmine rice (as I usually do) than expect the color to be different than what you see in the photos below.
What you'll need:
Vegetable oil as needed
4 cups uncooked rice - cooked (make it ahead if you want to and just put it in cold)
3/2 lb kosher salami diced (I used 2 packages of Hebrew Nat'l knockworst tonight)
1 onion, diced (not too small...I've never seen minced onion at the Chinese restaurants.)
4 cloves garlic, minced
6-8 eggs (I used 6 tonight)
12 oz frozen peas and carrots (this is the original measurement but since I've switched grocery stores I've only been able to find 16 ounce bags. I still use the whole bag and it's fine.)
3-4 green onions, sliced
1 cup soy sauce
6 tablespoons sugar (I like to use agave)
2 tbsp hoisin sauce
Optional ingredients (I didn't add any of these tonight):
1 can water chestnuts
1 can baby corn
1 can bamboo shoots
1 head bok choy, diced or 1 bag shredded cabbage or slaw mix
Your favorite veggie cut up into bite size pieces (zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms, celery...)
1. Saute onion and salami in a large skillet or pot.
2. You can now do one of two things: Either beat the eggs and cook them scrambled egg style in a separate pan or; do as I do and remove the salami and onion from the skillet and cook the egg in the skillet.
3. When the egg is cooked set it aside for later and add the salami and onions back to the skillet.
4. Add the garlic. Toss it all around and let the garlic start to cook.
5. Add the frozen peas and carrots and whatever veggies you'd like to add. Remember, if you are using veggies that need to cook longer you should either steam them ahead of time or add them earlier.
6. Mix the sauce ingredients together. If you are using sugar either pop it in the microwave for a few seconds to melt it or, if you're like me and don't have a microwave, heat it to a boil in a small pot. If you are using agave or honey etc. you don't have to do this step.
7. Add half the sauce to the skillet with the salami and peas and carrots. This will help cook the frozen veg.
8. Add the cooked rice to the skillet along with the cooked egg.
9. Stir well and add as much of the remaining sauce as you need.
10. Drizzle some sesame oil over the top (if desired) and stir well. I use about 1 tablespoon or so.
11. Top with the green onion or mix it into the rice. (I didn't use it this time so don't look for it in the photos)
Hot dogs and onions before
Hot dogs and onions after.
Hot dogs, peas, and carrots...oh my!
Rice and sauce are in the pot and we're ready to eat!
That's good stuff, and better yet, it is a meal in one.